Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Swimming with the Stars

My swimming experience was a wonderful time to cool off and get to see other teachers interact with students. I am a visual learner and find tremendous growth watching other and then practicing what has been taught. The students were amazing!! I had a opportunity to work with the preschool children who were deaf, hard of hearing... they were super cute and able to engage with me. I had a chance to interact with a sweet little 4 year old who was very cautious. We practiced wall crawl, blowing bubbles and horsey rides. I had a chance to learn how to do basic signs and then give the students positive feedback. 
I have notices that all kids LOVE water... especially on a hot day. The leading teacher was able to enforce safety through out the class. During the experience I was able to collaborate with my peers, giving them feedback and then also hearing some as well. This is a very powerful way to learn. Instead of working out of a text and hearing how to practically apply strategies to different situations, nothing can beat the real world experience, doing to work, facing the challenges and modifying on the spot. I wish I was able to watch students with limited mobility transfer from chair to water. Collaboration is very valuable in this type of setting because several eyes are watching the same activity and there is a opportunity to hear different suggestions from different point of views. 
(picture of 'my' stars... not the durham stars- actual pictures not available)

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't aware we were able to add pictures until I saw this post. Your blog looks great and now that I know I can add pictures I will. Thanks

    ReplyDelete