Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Diversity in the classroom

It is important and critical to consider diversity in the classroom to understand the students needs and areas to work towards. Considering diversity within the students will help the teacher to understand what the students values are and where the student may need help in overcoming. Culture and cultural differences will also be a factor when the classroom is diverse. Many cultures do not place a ton of value on physical education but will place huge amounts of value on math and science. Other diversity within the classroom could include disabilities.
I have found from my past experiences that when I am forced to open my mind and work with people that are different then myself I gain knowledge that I may not have. It also builds a community that is united that works together.
As a teacher I find it important to consider diversity to become a better teacher and grow as a professional. There may be activities or games that may offend some of the students or a language that would be more helpful to use around those students. Being award of who is the students and how to best teach them regarding who they are is important.  

No comments:

Post a Comment